Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Thoughts about Religulous

Our family went to see Religulous on Sunday and it left me feeling a little defensive. While I delighted in the revelations of the seemingly preposterous basis of Christianity, Scientology and Mormonism, I know that people of faith around the planet do a lot of good. And faith gives people comfort--there are no atheists in foxholes, remember?

I reached in my mind (and blog) for the mission statement from the Friends Committee on National Legislation, FCNL:

We seek a world free of war and the threat of war
We seek a society with equity and justice for all
We seek a community where every person's potential may be fulfilled
We seek an earth restored.

Nothing religulous about this mission.

Make the world a better place for people and other living things. That's a pretty concise mission, and one I cannot imagine anyone disagreeing with.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

You read my mind on Religulous. I heard an interview with Bill Mahr on Fresh Air, and I was wondering if he had stopped to talk to any Quakers.

PS - If you haven't, you should read our blog, Of Peace and Politics

We combine faith and politics on it all the time.

Molly Dove said...

Thank you for finding and reading my blog. You are my very first commenter and that made my day.