Wednesday, March 7, 2012

oppression

TMy daughter returned yesterday from a study visit to Israel and Palestine. She has yet to process everything she learned, but her incidental comments have shaken me. Example : her friend Dahlia's boyfriend, a high school senior at a Quaker school in Ramallah, was beaten to a bloody pulp by Israeli soldiers at a checkpoint --because he wore a Palestinian red and white checked head scarf. Example: more than 40 resolutions to support Palestinian human rights have been blocked in the UN thanks to Israel's stalwart ally, the USA. Example : the intense and hostile interrogation my daughter got when leaving Israel at the Telaviv airport.

I know some Palestinians are violent but oppression is morally reprehensible and my nation's complicity disgusts and appalls me.

Peace, y'all

Molly

No comments: