Thursday, November 4, 2010

Micah 6:8 and where it leads me

Recent readings have synergized in me, a divine convergence of ideas. I don't know exactly where this goes. When I find out I'll probably share it here.

Sarah Vowell's recent and charming book about puritans--The Wordy Shipmates--reminded me of the sweet words of Micah-

And what does the lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

Then I read a journal article about the lack of, and need to, incorporate ethics in the study and pursuit of sustainability. Yes! Duh!

Isn't that what underlies the saying,

Live simply so that others may simply live.

This last has resonated with me for a long time. I've agreed with it but haven't really seen how to implement it. That is, how does it help the poor and hungry on other continents when I recycle, ride the bus, and refrain from shallow materialism?

The positive incorporation of ethics in sustainability will help.

I'm no scholar. I'm a citizen and a seeker. So--how do I use my skills and resources (aka gifts from God) to live simply so that others may simply live, act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God?

That's what is incubating in me this week.

Peace, y'all

Molly

No comments: