Monday, April 9, 2012

about cars

I recently began reading Wall Street Journal and I have learned a few things.   1) Americans are buying less gasoline than they have in 11 years.  Whoa!   High prices, efficient cars, fewer places to go in a depression, who knows?    2) In March, the big 3 automakers (GM, Ford, Chrysler) sold a record number of cars--and it's the high fuel economy cars that are driving off the lot in droves.

The federal government required high fuel economy, and funny, I didn't hear any moaning and whining about how hard it would be.  The car makers are putting out small efficient cars and large (more) efficient cars.  Hybrids galore.

I learned today from the editor and creator of GreenBiz.com, Joel Makower, that companies are doing a lot to be more sustainable, but they are not talking about it.   They are not doing it for PR or idealogy.  They are doing it for sound business reasons.

Let's let the carmakers laugh all the way to the bank.

Recently I have blogged a lot about problems, and it depressed me, I admit.  The problems are still out there, but I will turn my focus other places for a while.  

Peace and justice, y'all

Molly

No comments: