Sunday, April 1, 2012

And out like a lamb....

It's April!   I'm so grounded in truth there is a little truth in the claim that I'm humor-impaired, so April Fools day has little value to me.   But it's sunny and the start of a very springy month, and I'm very glad of that.

The saying is that March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb, so now it's lamb season.  In fact it probably is.  I know I've seen a lot of new calves as I drive around the region. 

It's also the season of renewal, from the flooding of the Nile to Passover, to Easter, to spring blossoms.  I love Spring!

As Christians prepare to celebrate Easter-- the death and resurrection of the Prince of Peace -- I want to note that Christians have no monopoly on peace and justice. 

Here are some thoughts from a variety of cultures:

Mahatma Gandhi:
"Be the peace you wish for the world."

Martin Luther King:
 "We must learn to live together as brothers, or we are going to perish together as fools."

Holy Qur'an, 5:33
"the taking of one innocent life is like taking all of Mankind... and the saving of one life is like saving all of Mankind"

Dalai Lama
"If you wish to experience peace, provide peace for another.”

Mother Theresa of Calcutta:
"If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies.”

No single faith or culture has the monopoly on seeing the value of and connection between peace and justice.  

I hope as you, dear reader, celebrate the holidays and the northern hemisphere's seasonal renewal, you also 1) try to provide peace to another 2) talk to your enemies 3) learn to live together 4) work to save a life 5) be the peace you wish for the world. Whatever your faith and culture.  

Peace and justice, y'all

Molly

No comments: