Thursday, March 26, 2009

My dream came true

I had a wonderful experience last Friday and want to share it with everyone. I (andmy family) attended the citizenship ceremony at the US District Court and witnessed 28 people become brand new American citizens.

Then I dashed outside the courtroom to the table the court had provided me, and handed out League of Women Voters pamphlet "They Represent You," a free directory of all the elected officials in our counties, and how to contact them (and vote them in or out). My husband and I gave out dozens of these.

I also offered to register the new Americans to vote. I registered 8 new Americans right then and there, and several others took the form with them to mail in later.

It was sweet--I checked over the forms to be sure they were filled in right, and had to remind a few folks to check the YES box to confirm they were American citizens!

It has always been a dream of mine to register brand new Americans, and last Friday my dream came true.

Anyone can do this (at least in my state). I went to the county Auditor's office to get the forms, I arranged a table, and brought a pile of pens.

I can't wait to do this again. The court's person said they would have another citizenship ceremony in another month or two. They'd worked hard to bring this back to our community, and I am thrilled about it.

No comments: