Sunday, April 18, 2010

More on food

What is a more basic need than food? Only one--water. Food is essential, as is "of essence." It's vital, as in our lives depend on it. How fortunate are most Americans that they think about what to eat, and how much, rather than IF they can eat.

Some of the 300 members of BeadforLife are HIV-positive. The meds for the HIV are free, but they stimulate appetite, so before BeadforLife came around, they would not take the meds because they couldn't feed their appetites. OMG.

Defrosting the frostfree freezer requires emptying it. Now a full freezer is more efficient than an empty one, but it distressed me to see how many "freezer mysteries" persist. These are generally good meals I make too much of, so I freeze the rest before it goes bad. I always intend to have "freezer mysteries" on the week's menu but we can't get ahead of it.

Freezer mysteries will be on our menu at least twice a week until I start thinking my freeze is too empty. This will also keep me out of the grocery store, and save me that time and gasoline and money, and exposure to the marketing mania that is retail food.

Also on the food theme, I'm on track to bake my first ever loaf of sourbread. I fed the starter today. Thursday I'll feed it in the a.m, mix the dough in the p.m. (and feed it once more) and prep, then Friday, I'll actuallly bake. I'm excited and hopeful. If this succeeds I will have a new way to eat healthier.

BeadForLife proceeds so far: $995! Oh so close to a nice round number. I hope to surpass another round number by this time next week (after sales at work, at my Quaker gathering, and with my friends who can't come to the LR party. I love giving parties like this and I really love raising money for our sisters in Uganda.

No comments: