Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Abu Ghraib prison abuses went public 5 years ago today

How time flies!! The cat lovers against the bomb calendar (Thanks, Nebraskans for Peace) tells me that today is the fifth anniversary of the exposure of abuses in Abu Ghraib. I recall the nation's (and world's) outrage, and my personal outrage at how quickly the mass media abandoned the topic when Ronald Reagan died in June 2004.

But the stain of shame and the loss of American honor persist. For how long, I don't know. I pray our new President will work actively to repair the harm and restore our honor.

I have often said I don't feel proud to be American, but I feel very LUCKY to be American. On election night I thought I might once again feel pride.

Less than one week until we have a new President in office!

-Molly

No comments: