Monday, March 5, 2012

on morality and budgets

Today I phoned my legislators to say the budget the Washington state Senate had agreed to (using the term "agree" very loosely) was immoral. It balances the state's budget by harming the vulnerable in our state - children, elderly, disabled, unemployed, hungry or poor. This is wrong.

I said a budget is a moral document that reflects the values and priorities of the people of our state. This budget doesn't do that.

This led me to thinking about personal budgets and values and priorities. Every time we spend any money, we are choosing to allocate that resource in a way that reflects our values and priorities, even it's simply "don't get evicted," or "have a full tummy tonight."

This makes me want to spend money more mindfully. I want every nickel I spend to be for Good. For God. For people, especially the vulnerable.

Peace, y'all

Molly

No comments: